Serving Up Good Luck
Green Fruits, Vegetables Packed With More Than Good Luck For St. Patrick’s Day
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate than by incorporating some delicious green foods into your meals! Not only are green foods a festive way to celebrate the holiday, but they’re also packed with essential vitamins and nutrients that are important for overall health. These green fruits and vegetables are available through the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program so you can celebrate the Luck of the Irish while eating healthy.
6 Green WIC Foods For St. Patrick’s Day
- Broccoli: This green veggie is a great source of vitamin C, folate, and fiber. It can be steamed, roasted, or stir-fried to make a delicious and healthy side dish.
- Limes: These fruits are small, green citrus fruits that are packed with nutrients and health benefits. They are a great source of vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants, and can be used in a variety of recipes to add a zesty flavor and boost of nutrition. Plus, they taste great squeezed into water. Looking for a recipes for broccoli? Try this recipe for broccoli tater tots.
- Lettuce: This leafy green is a great source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin K, folate, and iron. Lettuce also contains fiber and antioxidants, which can help to promote digestive health and protect against chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Additionally, the high water content of lettuce can help to keep the body hydrated and promote healthy skin. Lettuce is versatile and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways, making it a great addition to any healthy diet. Here are a few recipes for salads we love.
- Avocado: This creamy green fruit is a great source of healthy fats, fiber, and potassium. Mash it up to make guacamole, spread it on toast, or use it as a topping for tacos or salads. Avocado Toast Recipes To Try
- Peas: A nutritious vegetable that is high in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They are a great source of plant-based protein and are also low in fat and calories. Peas contain a range of important nutrients including vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, folate, iron, and zinc. They are also a good source of antioxidants, which can help to protect against cell damage and chronic diseases. Enjoy them in a variety of ways, from salads and soups to side dishes and main meals, making them a versatile and delicious addition. Try this recipe featuring peas
- Cabbage: We can’t leave this one off for St. Patrick’s Day. This vegetable is high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and may help reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and even have anti-cancer effects. Additionally, cabbage is low in calories and can be easily incorporated into a healthy diet. Whether enjoyed raw in salads, fermented as sauerkraut, or cooked in a variety of dishes, cabbage is a nutritious and tasty addition to any meal.
These are just a few examples of the many WIC green foods that you can incorporate into your St. Patrick’s Day celebration. By choosing these healthy WIC options, you can ensure that your family is getting the nutrition they need while celebrating the holiday in a fun and festive way. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Here are a few recipes your family will enjoy:
1 head of green cabbage
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional toppings: grated Parmesan cheese, chopped fresh herbs, lemon juice
Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove any damaged outer leaves from the cabbage and slice it into 1/2-inch thick rounds. Brush both sides of the cabbage rounds with olive oil and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Season the cabbage rounds with salt and pepper to taste. Roast the cabbage in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, flipping them halfway through, until the edges are crispy and golden brown. Remove the cabbage from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Top the roasted cabbage with grated Parmesan cheese, chopped fresh herbs, or a squeeze of lemon juice, if desired. Enjoy your delicious and healthy roasted cabbage.
EASY WIC GROCERY SHOPPING
Visit a JC Food Mart store to pick up all your WIC foods in one easy stop. Find a store near you here.
You might also be interested in these articles:
Black-Eyed Peas, Cabbage Recipe