Get your growing family the support they need with Texas WIC!
The free program provides nutritional education, breastfeeding resources, and food packages for qualifying women and children up to age 5. And if you’re expecting, you can start as soon as you learn the good news! To qualify, check out Texas WIC’s updated income requirements for pregnant moms who reside in the state. Plus, check the link to Texas WIC below to start your application.
Start your journey toward a healthy lifestyle for you and your child with Texas WIC.
WIC INCOME REQUIREMENTS 2023
Households with the following gross yearly income per member:
- 1 household member can qualify making up to $26,973 gross yearly income per household;
- 2 household members up to $36,482 gross yearly income;
- 3 household members up to $45,991 gross yearly income;
- 4 household members up to $55,500 gross yearly income;
- 5 household members up to $65,009 gross yearly income and
- 6 household members up to $74,518 gross yearly income
Parents, step-parents, guardians, and foster parents of infants and children who are younger than 5 can apply.
Texas WIC can help you give your baby a healthy start with education, counseling and nutritional foods. The program provides FREE resources to help you along your pregnancy, including nutrition counseling and FREE healthy food packages to help ensure you and your baby have a healthy pregnancy. To see if you qualify for the program, apply online at texaswic.com/apply.
JC FOOD MART IS A SERVICE PROVIDER FOR THE WIC PROGRAM, NOT A PART OF THE WIC PROGRAM
Being a parent for the first time is both an incredibly exciting and nerve-wracking experience. New moms want to do everything they can to make sure your little bundle of joy stays healthy, happy, and safe. Here are a few A-B-Cs for first-time moms. Read on to learn just a few ABCs necessary for anyone getting ready to be a mommy for the first time!
Acknowledge that you’re scared, but be excited at the same time!
It’s normal to be nervous. Give yourself credit for taking this big step into motherhood. Plus, it never hurts to seek out expert advice from professionals like those at Texas WIC who specialize in infant nutrition and growth monitoring – they’ll help make sure you’re well informed while navigating through these exciting times!
Believe in yourself – you can do this! Sometimes every new mom just has to know she can do it. When in doubt, reach out to your doctor or Texas WIC for help. Texas WIC is a great resource for moms. It is a nutrition education program that assists moms until their child turns 5 years old. If you would like to see if you qualify for Texas WIC, you can apply at TexasWIC.org/apply.
Connect with other moms, either virtually or in person. Every mom needs a support system. This is one great way to get a little extra helpful advice. Social media is also a great place to connect with other moms. Plus, you might make a few new friends at Texas WIC.
FEW MORE ‘C’s FOR FIRST-TIME MOMS
- Create a routine and stick to it as much as possible. Looking for more information about creating routines, check out these tips for newborn babies.
- Cherish every moment – even the tough ones!
EASY WIC GROCERY SHOPPING
Mothers only want the best for their babies, and that usually starts with the news you are expecting. Luckily for qualifying Texas residents there is a program that helps mothers make sure their nutritional needs are being met to help ensure the best healthy start for their babies. Texas WIC offers nutrition education, free supplemental foods and support for moms and babies.
Here are some of the best ways Texas WIC offers help to expecting moms and moms with children up to age 5.
- WIC provides supplemental foods to qualifying pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women.
- WIC helps to improve the health of pregnant women and their babies. That includes providing baby formula to babies in need.
- WIC provides nutrition education and counseling to help participants make healthy food choices.
- WIC helps participants access other social services.
- WIC has been shown to reduce the incidence of low birth weight babies, according to studies on USDA’s website.
For easy WIC grocery shopping, visit JC Food Mart stores in San Antonio. Bilingual clerks help WIC clients get all their WIC foods in one easy stop. There are 10 stores throughout San Antonio. Visit today to find out how easy WIC shopping can be. Find a store near you at jcfoodmart.com/locations
Moms and moms-to-be all need savvy, time-saving hacks to save time, be healthy and to maintain sanity.
Infant and toddler moms don’t usually have a lot of spare time. Moms often feel a lot of stress to take care of tiny humans. That’s why we have come up with some great mom hacks to help save time while offering a little piece-of-mind.
Stress for expecting mothers can also be high. What can you eat? What should you not eat? It can be overwhelming. Not to mention, you are creating a human in your belly. That is very tiring.
Now is the perfect time to practice carrying a prepared bag (think diaper bag for moms). Except this bag will be filled with healthy snacks/water for mom. Here are a few ideas for your mom bag: water bottle, dry WIC-approved cereal – which is packed with iron and fiber. Other ideas for your “snack” bag: fresh fruit like bananas or peanut butter on whole wheat bread. Get more information about WIC foods and pregnancy here.
TIME SAVING COOKING HACKS FOR MOMS
Every mom loves a good kitchen shortcut. Here are a few ideas you can use in the kitchen to help you save time or maintain your sanity.
- First up: homemade teething rings. When toddlers start to teeth, it can be painful for your baby and hard on mom. No parent likes a little one to cry in pain. Make homemade teething ring popsicles. The cold pop is perfect for sore gums. Here is a recipe you can use:
BERRY YOGURT POPSICLES
1 ½ bananas (mom can eat the other half)
16 ounces of yogurt (any flavor)
4 ounces of blueberries
Blend all ingredients in a blender until it is very smooth. Place yogurt mixture into popsicle molds. Freeze for at least 6 hours. Keep in the freezer for the next time your child needs a treat.
2. Make pre-made snacks for hungry toddlers. Moms know that one of your main roles as a parent is to give your child healthy foods. It can often feel like a full-time job. For kiddos starting to eat table food, make sure you have easy foods you can grab for a snack or meal when your baby wants to eat. A few great examples are avocados and bananas that can be smashed for smaller children. Pre-cook boiled eggs to have on head in the fridge. These are great for children starting to eat real foods and older kids looking for a snack. Here are a few more ideas for snacks using WIC foods.
Having a little fun can also be a great way to take a break and cut the stress. We have gathered a few hacks using containers from WIC foods. Use empty and cleaned milk and egg cartons for fun crafty projects. So are baby food jars. Here are a few ideas:
- Turn your egg carton into a fun container for kid paint. Each egg holder can be for a different color. Your egg container could also be used to create a homemade sensory tray. Fill the egg carton with items with different textures that you can find around the house: a small ball of yarn, a block, a small piece of fabric. Just make sure the items are age-appropriate and are not a choking hazard for your little one.
- For older kids, use the lids from your milk jugs to make checkers pieces. Just color the lid black or red. Save enough to make your own checkers pieces. Make a checkerboard out of cardboard or a piece of paper you have around the house.
Of course your imagination is the limit for using containers to help entertain your kids. Sometimes kids enjoy making toys out of the simplest items around your house.
The best mom hack of all is to get all your WIC foods in one easy stop at any JC Food Mart location. Since you won’t have to go searching down long aisles to get all your WIC foods, you will save time and your sanity. Find a location near you.
Do you have mom hacks you would like to share? Drop them in the comments below. Use hashtag #GSNmomhacks
Looking for more blog articles about these topics? Check these out:
If you’re a mom on a budget, you know how hard it can be to provide your family with healthy meals. But did you know that the Texas WIC program can help? Keep reading to learn how to eat healthy with WIC.
Texas WIC is a government program that provides financial assistance and nutrition education to low-income families. Learn how the WIC program works and learn a few tips for eating well on a budget.
1. What is WIC and what does it offer participants?
Texas WIC is is a nutrition education program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) that helps moms provide a healthy start for their babies. The program provides free nutrition education, counseling, breastfeeding support, and free monthly supplemental food packages for pregnant women, postpartum women, and children up to age 5.
2. How to apply for the WIC program?
If you are a Texas resident that is pregnant or are a mother of a child younger than 5 you can apply for the program by visiting WIC online to start your application or by calling 800-942-3678 to locate a WIC clinic to schedule an appointment to apply.
3. What foods are available with the WIC program?
There are several free monthly food packages that are different for moms and children based on their age and nutritional needs. There is a specific food package for pregnant mothers that includes foods that, according to WIC, “are low in fat and high in fiber, provide nutritional variety and help promote a healthy weight gain for a healthy baby.” Infants have packages that may include baby formula and older children have packages that include eggs, fruits and vegetables, cereals, and more.
4. How to use your WIC benefits
Texas WIC clients receive an EBT card that is loaded each month with their WIC benefits. Clients take their EBT to the store to redeem their benefits. Stores like JC Food Mart – which are PWIC stores that cater to WIC clients – help make it easy for WIC customers to get all their WIC products in one easy stop.
5. Sample meal ideas to eat healthy with WIC
WIC-approved foods help make it easy to create healthy meals for your family. Use WIC-approved foods to make meals like omelets (which use WIC-approved eggs and vegetables), stir fry (using WIC foods like whole-wheat rice and vegetables), beans, and whole-wheat rice and pasta dishes use whole-wheat pasta and cheese. The options are endless and you know you are going to be eating healthier when you are cooking with WIC foods. Get more recipe ideas using WIC foods on our blog.
The WIC program is a great way to get started on the path to healthy eating on a budget. With the help of JC Food Mart, it’s easy to find nutritious WIC-approved foods that your family will love.